Monday, October 26, 2015

Perfect Chemistry (pp. 1-119)

Do you share any of the feelings of the characters in this work?  Explain.

 Perfect Chemistry is one of the hottest new YA novels, especially with girls, and I can see why.  While the content is not for younger audiences, older teenagers will really be able to relate to the characters.  It has the stereotypical blonde, rich, pretty cheerleader who's dating a varsity football player and the other guy from the wrong side of the tracks who happens to be in a gang.  While this sounds old and outdone on the surface, the more you get into this book the more you realize how rich the characters really are on the inside and you start to wonder about the people you went to high school with who seemed to have it all.
Brittany is the character that I can really empathize with, despite the fact that I do not have a sibling with a major disability.  However, because of this, she is constantly at odds with her parents over her older sister, especially when they talk about sending her to a facility after numerous failings by various caretakers.  Brittany's college decision even revolves around her sister as she feels it is her responsibility to take care of her because of a special connection that they share and because of her patience.  My grandfather was recently put into a nursing home permanently and while I know this is the best place for him to because of his growing dementia and other unrelated health problems, it kills me that he has to be there.  Every time we visit him I want so badly to take him home and be able to live there full time to take care of him.  However, he lives in Greenville and this option is simply not viable for me or any of our other family members.  He needs care 24/7 which includes getting to the restroom along with the fact that he is prone to falling.  I know that he understands and would never ask any of us to give up our routines to live with him full time, I still feel guilty that I cannot.

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful example of the emotional connections we can make to characters and texts. I love that you shared your sadness over your Grandfather living away from you--your vulnerability and tenderness towards him are so similar to the character you're relating to! Your students will benefit from seeing this kind of connection when you do "read-alouds" -- or maybe if you showed them a sample entry from a reading journal... sometimes, writing is easier than speaking. Things of the heart are often the most difficult to articulate with words. You've made a thoughtful connection here, and I hope you're able to visit your Grandfather again very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a personal connection--this speaks to the power of Rosenblatt. I agree with you that this book does help us look beyond the typical stereotype--and I love that this book includes a character with a major disability--and yet the entire book isn't about her or the disability--I think her character and that of the mother are painfully real and help give this text greater depth.

    ReplyDelete